Monday, January 9, 2012

Sweet, Busy January

This weekend was filled to the brim with plans and celebrations. Saturday began in the best way: breakfast with my beloved friend Kielly. You know those people who know everything about you and still love you? Yep, that's her. She's been by my side through thick and thin. We can go months without seeing each other, and then reunite with fits of laughter and delight over shared snippets of life. Seeing her is like taking a deep breath the morning after a good rain.


After breakfast, I grabbed the Mr. and we ventured to Orcutt for a grand event. My mom just opened a yoga studio! I am so proud of her for achieving one of her dreams. She and my dad did a gorgeous job getting the place ready. She couldn't let everyone into classes last week because they reached maximum capacity. This weekend she had an open house to let the community share in her joy. It was such a blessing to be a part of her day. Naturally, I received plenty of compliments on how amazing my mom is. I couldn't agree more. :)


Luke and I were determined to have a date night this weekend. After the open house, we headed to Full of Life Flatbread in Los Alamos. We felt right at home with the bustling activity of the restaurant. I adore exposed kitchens in restaurants. It presents this attitude of "Our food is fresh, our kitchen is clean, and we are proud of what we make!" We enjoyed watching children gleefully shove flatbread into their mouths. There were also plenty of delicious desserts and flatbread pizzas presented to cheerful crowds. We even ordered a dessert- which we never do. But this was no ordinary dessert... it was one made by Kielly Lewis. Kielly is now the head pastry chef at Full of Life. She is also famously known for the cupcakes at our wedding. This girl has worked so hard to perfect her skills and find a great place to settle in and bake. I am ridiculously proud of her. I demonstrated that pride by consuming every ounce of the glorious crepe cake we ordered. I had to fight my husband for a fair share. :)

We couldn't quite capture our dessert with the restaurant lighting... but this is a likeness of the wonder that was my dinner. As far as dessert goes- you must see for yourself!
Sunday morning began with watching Eli. We brought the baby monitor into our bedroom and listened to him sing to himself for a while. When he was ready to play, we pulled him out to relish in the morning sunshine that filled our home. We got the little man ready to go, and headed to The Gospel Church with our friend Lukey and Eli in tow.

Sunday was made memorable by celebrating our niece's 5th birthday. Bella is five! How the years fly by. She is shooting up and becoming more gorgeous by the minute.
Bella at Avila Barn this last October

After becoming truly tuckered out by our time at Chuck E. Cheese's, we scooted home to pajamas and responsibilities. I made "Portland Porch" lettuce wraps with edamame pesto for dinner. Luke says it's one of his new top 5 favorite recipes. I am so lucky to have a husband who will eat whatever veggie-filled, nutrient-dense meal I prepare with a huge smile on his face. What a champion! We topped off our weekend with some lazy time with the roommates.


How full and glorious was this weekend?!

No comments:

Post a Comment