Friday, December 30, 2011

Joy Stealers

I used to say I never held grudges- and I meant it. It would be so hard for me to stay mad or hold onto a bitter feeling. I had trouble allowing myself to experience emotions. I wouldn't express anger or cry easily. Around the time Luke and I got back together, I was changing a lot. I was becoming more authentic and learning to communicate in a healthy way. Slowly but surely, I began to cry again. (Now I cry when children sing Christmas songs. No joke.) I eventually learned how to navigate through emotions and communicate through conflict. But with these things came increased bouts of frustration and sadness. I allowed myself to feel... so I felt in a wild array of colors.



These powerful emotions have taught me to deal with things as they come up. As someone who loves Jesus, I should be able to glorify Him in the way I process and manage emotions. I have discovered that certain things are particularly efficient at stealing my joy. What things, people, events, and reminders come along and steal your joy? Sometimes it is not even the person or thing itself, but what it represents or how we interpret it. It is helpful to identify what you are up against before you plan how you will defend yourself.

There are a couple of things that really get to me. In no particular order: fearing opinions or not pleasing others, seeing someone who has things more "together" than I do, pride, and reminders of who I was and what I have done in the past.

I have found that scripture and shifting my focus are the most effective tools for me. Here are some verses that always snap me out of my negative thought patterns and cycles:

"But Jesus said to him, 'No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.'” - Luke 9:62


“Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” - Phil. 3:14-15

“Fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe.” - Proverbs 29:25


It also has helped me to focus on my blessings and remind myself of who God says that I am. At other times, I find that stepping outside and appreciating God's creation is effective. Trees, the sky, and stars quickly remind me that it's not about me. The Big Man is actually in control. And that's a good thing. God calls us to many things today and in the future. We can choose to look towards God and seek to love others when we are tempted to be focused on ourselves. Those are the things that are more real and brilliant than any emotions or lies we might choose to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment