Monday, December 5, 2011

Gifts of the Season

This season is one of sweet relief. Luke and I often marvel at how much transition we have experienced in our marriage so far. Multiple jobs, piles of homework, exams, tough decisions, hurdles, and triumphs. We feel so loved through the opportunities and generosity we have received. But still, change can be hard and can feel just plain stressful. 

As we arrive in December, our hearts feel full and thoughtful. We have clarity where we used to see question marks. Luke is greatly encouraged in his path of teaching at the junior college level. What a blessing! He is such a natural instuctor and has the ability to make any subject compelling. I am so proud of him for pursuing what he set his heart on long ago. Sometimes we move forward in things- not because they are easy, but because we know it is right. After a mental and emotional tug-of-war, I feel confident and excited when I think of my educational and career path from this point on. Anyone who knows me knows that I have the ability to change my mind in a millisecond, and I have no problem switching around my whole life to accommodate my newest plans. My past indecision has made it incredibly hard to move forward. I am at one of those forks in the road... and when you have changed your mind as much as I have- the thought of making a mistake is terrifying.

With the support and counsel of my sweet husband, I have come to realize that a job and "success" in this world is useless. I don't have to prove anything to anyone. What a thought. When it comes down to it, I want to: be sanctified and share the love of God, glorify God through my life, equip families, and love on and encourage women and children. So simple, really. I am moving forward with my child development studies, feeling confident that God has led me here- and will continue to speak to me through this adventure. 

Sometimes we make hard decisions, and instantly a weight is lifted off our shoulders. That is this season for us. We look ahead and see: more time with our family and friends, a future that honors (and is compatible with) each other, knowing the love of Christ more deeply, getting to know our church family even better, and having time to cherish the little things- which are actually the big things.

This is a short life we live- and I am ready to soak up the rest and joy that comes in this holiday season. I hope you find joy and renewed faith in this time.

XXOO

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment